Section Menu


There are times when a probationer may be unable to take up or continue their induction post for example, due to medical reasons. In these cases a deferral request form should be completed and sent into us. A decision will then be made whether a deferral will be granted or not.

Who can defer?

The Teacher Induction Scheme is designed to follow immediately after the completion of the Standard for Provisional Registration but there may be circumstances which lead to a request for deferral.

If you're a student you can request to defer:

  1. pre-allocation ie before you've been allocated to a local authority (between May and June)
  2. post-allocation ie after you've been allocated to a local authority (between June and August)

If you're a probationer you can request to defer:

  1. after you've started your induction post

Deferral requests

All requests to defer are considered by our Assessment Panels.

If you wish to defer read the deferral policy and if you are eligible, please download and complete the deferral request form. The policy and the form are located on the right-hand side of this page.

The form should be returned to:

Professional Learning and Development Manager
Clerwood House
96 Clermiston Road
EH12 6UT

Appealing against a decision of the Assessment Panel

Appeals against a decision of the Assessment Panel must be submitted in writing within 14 days of being informed of the decision using the following form:


If you would like to discuss your probation with us, please contact the Early Careers Team by completing the GTC Scotland contact us form selecting 'Probationers' as your reason for contact.

You should contact your local authority probation manager if you are seeking:
- specific support requirements for probationer teachers in your area
-local CPD provision
information on work as a probationer teacher in your authority

View the local authority probation managers contact information.