Section Menu

Probation process

By the nature of the Flexible Route, the process followed is different for each individual.

It is vital that you tell the headteacher of your school, and your local authority Probation Manager, that you have a probationary period to complete. They may be able to help you access relevant support and have professional learning put in place for you.

If you are completing your probation period in a Scottish school, you need to record your teaching service using the online profile system. This is accessed through MyGTCS.

If you are completing your probation outwith Scotland, or you are completing probation for Professional Registration in an additional subject / sector, you need to record your teaching service using paper-based documentation.

Irrespective of whether you are using the online profile system or paper-based reports it is important to record your information as you go along.


If you would like to discuss your probation with us, please contact the Early Careers Team by completing the GTC Scotland contact us form selecting 'Probationers' as your reason for contact.

You should contact your local authority probation manager if you are seeking:
- specific support requirements for probationer teachers in your area
-local CPD provision
information on work as a probationer teacher in your authority

View the local authority probation managers contact information.